Welcome to my blog! Yes I am that feathery creature of the night that you've most likely seen at the latest opening of a bar, launch party, burlesque night or stuffing my face full of food! I review Sydney's offerings of things to eat, drink and everything in between. I enjoy trying out the weird, the wonderful, the wacky, the quirky or just plain fun. Life's far too short to not give everything a go just once! Hopefully I'll give you some great ideas to try out. Go to my new site: www.missfeathers.com.au

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Some foodie things I’m a just a little bit in love with at the moment


Some foodie things I’m a just a little bit in love with at the moment:

Gray Works has amazing chopping boards. I want to buy them all! This one I find especially lovely with it’s little walnut feet and pomegranate seeds (yes, I’m aware that’s it’s just presentation, but it’s hard to resist). Some of the boards are really rustic looking, whereas some are a little more polished. Their workshop is located in Woodstock and the artist’s Andrew Gray and Elizabeth Bryant say that before turning a piece of timber into anything, they “get to know it,” you can’t get more eco-hippy than that! They’re a featured seller on Etsy.com at the moment, so you can snap up pieces of their work easily online.



Cukorcookies are “hand baked using only organic ingredients, including Tahitian vanilla bean paste and hand decorated with love.” I have one word for you: yum! They are insanely cute, appropriate for Valentines Day, especially if you enjoy filling your loved one with sweet baked goods and did I mention that they are cute? 


Chalkboard Signs-Great for herbs, flowers or potted plants.” I’ve seen similar ones before in my local nursery and I think they’re fab. It’s a great way of remembering exactly which seeds you have planted in each pot. And of course they look good.

Having a few herb pots is the best way to perk up any home cooked meal up by placing a few springs on the top (if they’re small plants) and hopefully they end up replacing your need to go out and buy any. I’ve got a large garden at the moment, so there’s always basil, parseley, shallots, chilli, lettuce, cherry tomatoes, some wild rocket and other bits and pieces. 

 It’s always so satisfying picking produce from your own garden and it’s a great excuse for me to put chilli into almost every meal I cook. Heirloom seeds are also worth investigating. You can buy them online, buy some nice pots and off you go. Some interesting pots:

Do some seed bombing! “Practice random acts of gardening with these seed bombs!” There are many different kinds of these, some of which are “pet-friendly seed bombs have been formulated to appeal to cats and dogs, and include a mixture of catnip, cat grass, wheat, oats, and rye.” I wonder what my Jack Russell will think about these? Some have native seeds in them, so you can feel like you're doing a good deed. So, what are you waiting for, go seed bomb!



White tea with jasmine (image) is also one of my latest obsessions. Although I haven’t yet tried out the White Jasmine Sparkling Tea. Hmm, I have to say that I'm not so sure about that one. And these tea ducks! I gave one to my mum for Christmas and she loves it. I bought it from the MCA gift shop, which I think I may have to ban myself from!

 



Great things to eat off and drink out of:


 I’m sure the mushrooms would be quite annoying to clean in the washing up, but who can resist it’s childish story-book appeal? I also love the colours of these bowls, I'm sure they would make whatever food you place within them even better. Or even as a decorative fruit bowl:




My brother got a similar mug for Christmas. Lots of fun.

I'm loving everyday objects made of porcelain at the moment. I've got some porcelain scrunched up "plastic drinking cups" at home. They fool people all the time. More object de art than anything else, but also practical.

Great as drinking vessels, or vases

So very very true
You can spell out your name, or your initials, or corny phrases...

I heart vintage-y looking cake stands even though I don't have much of a sweet tooth.
Corny, but lovely at the same time. I think there's a bit of a Valentine's Day theme here.
Yes, another vintage-y looking cake stand
Fantastic feathery measuring spoons. Much more interesting than your average measuring device...

Ok- essentially I just want everything from this website (Not on the High Street)! When I go to London this year, I’m stopping by and picking up some great stuff!


The best home for home made cupcakes and muffins.
Some organic shaped pieces.


Frankie Magazine online food section
Good pots and pans, stemless glasses for red wine, cheeses, and cooking recipe blogs and websites, such as FeelingNibblish.

And that finishes my long list of foodie/ drinking things that I heart at the moment.

1 comment:

  1. Nice selection! Love the measuring spoons and the cake stands...I have always wanted a cake stand!
    Isy
    x

    ReplyDelete