Welcome to my blog! Yes I am that feathery creature of the night that you've most likely seen at the latest opening of a bar, launch party, burlesque night or stuffing my face full of food! I review Sydney's offerings of things to eat, drink and everything in between. I enjoy trying out the weird, the wonderful, the wacky, the quirky or just plain fun. Life's far too short to not give everything a go just once! Hopefully I'll give you some great ideas to try out. Go to my new site: www.missfeathers.com.au

Monday, January 24, 2011

A beachy weekend involving a crab named Craig and a game of cricket

Idea: Head to a beach house with some friends and a good ol' game of cricket



I think that there's nothing better than having a bunch of friends, a beach house, hot weather and some bbqing action! Oh - and did I mention the crab?






The beaches up around Hardy's Bay are beautiful and there's great spots for kayaking, fishing and more, and it's just over the water form Palm Beach. One of our crew even caught a crab. With a hand line. That's skill! We named him Craig and then debated over the most humane way of um... well... you know... "preparing him for our plates." We put him in the freezer, then into a pot for 10 minutes. Much to our horror, he started blinking at us as he defrosted before we put him into the water! Yes, there were girly squeals, there were calls of "stop punching yourself Craig" and lots of "we're so sorry Craig, really sorry."







Craig the blue swimmer crab turned bright orange the second he hit the water. And he tasted delicious! So fresh and lots of white meat. We decided not to serve him with any flavours, so as to not spoil the flavour. And yes, we played with the claw... It was too hard to resist. Poor Craig!

Then next day, the Boy and I were off to the cricket. My first game! It was Australia vs England. I'm Australian. He's... wait for it... English. There was some friendly rivalry going on there. I'm not a fan at all of watching sport, especially not cricket on tv. But, I have a confession to make. Going to the cricket is fun. There's drunk bogans acting up. Irish "angry elves" sitting next to me wanting to fight the Aussie bogans in the front. Evictions from the crowd. You have to get lots of beer. I suggest bringing a picnic in your bag (we did!) There's games with empty beer cups, blow up balls and kangaroos (just watch out that the fun police don't nab them). Yup, I've been converted!




Except for getting a little bit sunburnt, it was an amazing weekend of fun in the sun! Oh, and did I mention that Australia won the game? Because we did!

3 comments: