Welcome to my blog! Yes I am that feathery creature of the night that you've most likely seen at the latest opening of a bar, launch party, burlesque night or stuffing my face full of food! I review Sydney's offerings of things to eat, drink and everything in between. I enjoy trying out the weird, the wonderful, the wacky, the quirky or just plain fun. Life's far too short to not give everything a go just once! Hopefully I'll give you some great ideas to try out. Go to my new site: www.missfeathers.com.au

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Eau-de-Vie

Anyone who prepares cocktails for me wearing safety goggles and heavy duty science-lab style gloves gets my tick of approval! Deciding it was about time I get myself to one of Sydney's best cocktail bars of the moment, I chose to celebrate my birthday party at Eau-de-Vie. Now, it wasn't quite the easiest bar for my friends to find. This might have something to do with a lack of signs out the front (as it's in the Kirkton Hotel), and you have you walk through another bar to get there. But I quite liked this. Just a little bit secret squirrel, which only adds to it's charm. This means the trashy crowds having trouble finding it!

The second that we arrived and walked to my reserved seated section, I could tell that I had chosen the perfect location for my birthday drinks. It was a great crowd of slightly dressed up, but without being pretentious, crew who were all very chatty. The level of noise never got so loud that we had to shout, but if was definitely buzzing. I was far too distracted by catching up with all of my friends to remember the style of music that was playing, but I'm assuming that it was good, because it didn't annoy me. It's a great intimate sized bar, but without being too small, or feeling squashed (although it was definitely busy).



The cocktails impressed us all. Some were served in great vintage-y crystal jugs, some served in tin cups with handles and most importantly there were the cocktails that weren't on the menu. My friend and I happened to look to our left when we were waiting at the bar. All of a sudden test tubes, goggles and dry ice could be spotted. We wanted what they were having! We were told my the bar tender that he could make us something even better (still off the menu) to which we eagerly agreed. Again, the safety goggles, dry ice and gloves were pulled out, liquids were poured here and there, shaken, stirred and evaporated. We stood bug eyed watching. We were extremely impressed. Everyone around us soon had drink envy. After this we were informed that it was a Martini. This was no Martini I had ever seen before. To prove his point, it was served with a small dish of delicious green olives to go with our many piece drink.







Most cocktails that they make at Eau-de-Vie will not disappoint, as they take any opportunity to bring out a blow torch, dry ice or something similarly exciting. This is why they've had rave reviews all round. The Sydney Morning Herald loved it, Time Out loved it, Two Thousand loved it and I loved it. The service is unlike any other bar I've been to in while, even when they're extremely busy and are making complicated drinks. I have also always liked a barman in a bow tie! The staff will always be more than happy to help you choose the perfect cocktail for yourself and talk you through the cocktail list, or other options they can whip you up on the stop.(Even if you're being a bit difficult!)


Although meaning “water of life” as well as describing a style of fruit brandy, Eau-de-Vie has much more than water or fruit brandy on offer. It's my style of bar. And the food that my friends ordered looked great too. But I have to admit filling up on Thai around the corner before hand, so I can't comment on it.

This has been officially added to my list of bars to come to regularly (when I'm not in the mood for a quick, cheap drink). This was the perfect venue for birthday drinks when you actually want to be able to hold conversations and I think it would also be perfect for a date (provided you wanted to be able to hear them).

Next up for the night, we were off to a club...


Eau de Vie on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. I don't think anything can beat dry ice. Awesome. Looks like you had a good birthday. I want an invite to your next one Miss Feathers!

    ReplyDelete