Welcome to my blog! Yes I am that feathery creature of the night that you've most likely seen at the latest opening of a bar, launch party, burlesque night or stuffing my face full of food! I review Sydney's offerings of things to eat, drink and everything in between. I enjoy trying out the weird, the wonderful, the wacky, the quirky or just plain fun. Life's far too short to not give everything a go just once! Hopefully I'll give you some great ideas to try out. Go to my new site: www.missfeathers.com.au

Monday, November 8, 2010

The Arias

Idea: Attend an event on a comp ticket. The Arias @ Sydney Opera House Forecourt, Sunday 7th November, 2010

Better being in the crowd, or watched on tv? Tv for sure! Well, this is one blog entry that Miss Feathers doesn't have many positive things to say about. At least it didn't rain. At least I had my friends with me. At least it was close to my ferry ride home. At least they had an amazing lighting display. At least I didn't faint from being penned in (although it was  close call). At least... At least... hmmm ok, I think I've run out of positive things to say. Well, it's going downhill from here.



So here's the real lowdown. The Arias is not made for the crowd that is smooshed into viewing areas. A band that I love (Blue Juice, who I've seen perform amazingly dozens of times) were forced to perform a terrible, terrible set. The music levels were all wrong, their mics didn't work for quite some time, and when it did, it was just all wrong. The techies responsible for all of the performances up until Powderfinger should be shot. Really. The performers looked embarrassed. The crowd looked embarrassed. It was just all so wrong. Did they do a run through before the event? It didn't look like it. Only the larger acts appeared to have had a tech run. And by then the audience wasn't really up for it. For something like the Arias, I expected better. It appeared to be amateurs hour. They clearly had spent all of the rehearsal time getting the amazing lights to work and camera angles to pan from. Because, from the screen, it looked pretty good. But when you took a look around you, it was another story.


There was no alcohol sold (only the VIPs got some). Not that I'm an alcoholic, or that my social activities have to involve the consumption of alcohol, it just didn't have much of a party vibe. There just wasn't a vibe. Except for the 4 teenage girls squealing every time a camera came near them who attempted to destroy our eardrums (wow, I'm really sounding like I need a good cup of tea and a crossword right now).


The Sydney Harbour Forecourt always looks amazing on film, but it just wasn't the right venue. We had to stand the whole time, in our little pen. Some of the hosts, were, well... interesting. No one really knew what was going on. Powderfinger even accepted an award whilst at the bar, wondering, "what's that for?" The audience couldn't even see the awards being presented, and sometimes the camera crew didn't even know where to film. It was all very haphazard, especially if you think about how much it would have all cost. I just expected better.

I love a comp ticket, and I have no complaints whatsoever about that. I also love trying new things and going to different things. I feel that I can tick this box (and most likely not need to do it again). I just wonder how they got it so very very wrong? Well, that's my whinge, I promise to not make a habit of it!

Bluejuice
Powderfinger


2 comments: